Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Just because...

...this is my last holiday ever, I'm supposed to be enjoying it kau-kau. Why is that not the case? Sigh... Actually I shouldn't be complaining. Life is hectic because of good things (I hope) =)

I've been offered to study in the University of Wollongong for my last semester! Yay! Right now I'm just waiting for the result of my scholarship application, which I should know tomorrow *fingers crossed* I'm really excited about this. FINALLY I can actually make it after the failed attempts to Universiteit van Amsterdam and ESADE in Spain because now I actually have a shot at a scholarship. This is a much cheaper alternative with the exchange rate at 2.19 to the Ringgit when I checked it 2 days back. My family is being really supportive this time around despite dad's contract in Singapore ending. I'm busy looking for other scholarships right now but most of the deadlines have passed. Sigh... Working on an essay for Golden Key's Asia-Pacific Student Exchange Scholarship. Deadline's in 3 days! Oh boy...

Courses I intend to take at UoW to complete my degree:
  • FIN226: Financial Markets and Institutions (6 credit points) to replace AFP368: Options & Futures - Quite redundant since I've done this paper but my school's paper is redundant anyway. We've learned about options and futures twice already in other papers, dunno why they need one more paper specifically for it. Oh well... I hope my Deputy Dean will sign off my credit transfer form for this.
  • MGMT314: Strategic Management (6 credit points) to replace ATW393E: Strategic Management - I hope they will have the simulation thing my school uses too =)
  • FIN241: International Financial Management (6 credit points) to replace AFP365E: International Finance - Really hope this passes off because their International Finance paper is only offered in the Spring semester. Anyway I think this paper is more relevant. Hehe...
  • PSYC350: Social Behaviour and Individual Differences (8 credit points) to replace STU242: Social Psychology - I actually wanted to take Developmental Psychology but since it's also only offered in Spring I decided to take this paper. I think it's rather interesting too, probably more than the one offered by my school. Blessing in disguise? Maybe :)
Because it is my final semester, I have to be more careful in the courses that I choose because if I'm unable to transfer it back, I won't be able to graduate until 2010!

I'm in the midst of deciding on where I'll live, if I do go. I need to decide by 30 November! That's 5 days from now! Omg. My top 2 choices are:
  • International House. This is a catered residence, situated closer to my campus, 15 minutes from the beach and minutes away from the train station (dunno if this is a good thing, might be noisy). They have an award-winning iLive program which sounds amazing with all the activities they organize. Just afraid it's a bit too pricey though. It'll cost me AUD5,460.
  • Keiraview. This is a self-catered residence, right smack in the CBD which should be fun but unfortunately it is a 40-minute walk from campus. Seems a bit troublesome to me and I might be too stingy to take the shuttle. Haha! It also operates as a motel and youth backpackers' inn. It's a beautiful place though, each room has its own balcony, TV and each resident has his/her own fridge! It looks cleaner and nicer too. I'll have to prepare my own meals, which could be cheaper. Living here would set me back by AUD3,950. It's about AUD1,500 cheaper than International House. I dunno which to choose!
Is it me, or is university accommodation very expensive overseas? Hm... Any advice or suggestions, please let me know :)

Next thing I was busy with: Preparing for my interview with Brunsfield. It's for my compulsory industrial training course. It seems like a really nice place to work, it won the Best Employer's Award in 2005 and they are very eco-friendly! I went for the interview yesterday and got the part already, it's for next year when I finish my final semester. I just need to confirm the exact date I can commence and they'll send me my offer letter. Woohoo! Only downside is, I'll have to be 'uniformed'. Trainees are required to wear only white shirts (short or long-sleeved) with black skirts and black court shoes everyday except on Friday when we have the option of wearing black slacks. Hm... And makeup is compulsory. Another point is that it's in Tmn Tun, which takes me 25 minutes to get there when there's no traffic jam. Sis argues that it's better than working in the city. True also... Although there's hardly any parking there also. Oh well... We'll wait and see. I'm still waiting for Standard Chartered to open up their internship applications.

I'm supposed to start work with Mastermind Training International tomorrow. There goes my holidays. It's a good learning experience though, and I get to save extra money to go to Australia, if I do go. I'm trying to postpone it till next week though, because there's gonna be a little family trip to Genting this Thursday and Friday cos I have a free room. Jackson's not replying though, gotta call him again later.

Wow, I have officially been back for only 4 days and this is what I've been swamped with. Not bad, I'm taking it all in stride =)

On a much happier note, Joel will be back in 6 days! And Russell in about 2 weeks! I can't wait! Time for a little reunion. Gonna try to reunite with Suria, Chen Hoong and Amy this Friday at Bangkok Jazz for ThingOne if everything works out. Yippee!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

dear Yin Wei,

I am Adamy from UTP.
I want to ask about your experience working in Brunsfield if possible. Because I am kinda willing to intern there too. Would you feedback me to si.adamy@gmail.com

Sincerely