Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Just because...

...you are not purely Malaysian, you can be an instant hit in this country. Has anybody noticed that almost all models that we see in magazines are caucasian? If you really pay attention, note that almost all of them come from Andrews Models too. Is this Malaysia? I tend to forget, browsing through our magazines sometimes. Maybe globalization has reached our shores in a different form and now we have to be represented by angmoh-looking models, wearing local designs... And by now I actually mean starting many years back.

Can anybody tell me why? I'm not just talking about models here... I include the whole range of angmoh-looking celebrities as well. Some of them barely have the talent to go by but are catapulted by their looks. I'm sorry I have to bring this up and I know that the person I'm about to talk about is a good friend of a friend so I'm prepared to get lashed at.

I recently attended a Dunhill event (unknowingly) where Joey G was due to perform. I was excited because he was Iqram's half of the Cosmic Space Munkeys and I have heard so much about him. When he got up on stage to prep, I almost melted because of his good looks (although I know he's married) but the moment he started spinning, it was a disappointment. I guess I was not the only one who felt that way because the huge crowd that had gathered before started to disperse, and pretty quickly. What had happened to the raves about him? Seriously. I think it was all because he's angmoh, not that I have anything against that.

One other reason I brought this up was because I actually miss Peter a lot (a Swedish guy I dated). I was dreaming of having him come over to Malaysia and it hit me that it would be pretty easy for him to get a job here despite the global economic slowdown simply because he's good looking. People get jobs based on looks sometimes, it's not a secret. That's why some companies do not allow you to send in your photo along with your resume. It hit me that if he were to be a model here, he'd be an instant hit too... With his long blonde hair, blue-green eyes and great complexion with a hot bod to boot. It was at this point that it dawned on me that ALMOST ANYONE with some foreign blood can be a model here.

Welcome to Malaysia

No comments: