Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Just because...

...I study in a local public university, should I be made to feel less worthy? Sadly, this is how the employment sector has chosen to treat local graduates.

I'm not living in my own little world. I know that I can't be compared to a Cambridge or Harvard graduate but shouldn't I deserve a chance too? **I actually got accepted into a few reputable universities in the UK but declined the offer due to financial constraints** It pains me to no end that my applications are dismissed without second thought. A certain internship application I submitted 4 months ago still has not been viewed at all. It's true. If I was deemed unfit after my application was viewed, it's fine... But they won't even look at it. I heard this from the mouth of a Human Resource Manager myself. Unless I'm from a world-class university, most companies would not even bother. By most companies, I mean companies that would provide me with a good learning curve, not one where my full potential will not be realized.

Many people actually see students who manage to get into a local public university as highly qualified. It's no wonder. STPM is only about the third most difficult exam in the world! I guess that's why I've always wanted to do Form Six, I wanted to be challenged. Here I am now, with such treatment. Sigh... Maybe the matriculation students kinda 'dumb us down a little' but nevertheless we're still of quality. I know a lot of brilliant matriculation students too. Or could it be the lack of soft skills? We've heard this many times over in the media. Maybe it's true that most local grads do not have good language or communication skills but not everyone's like that. My circle of friends is made up of eloquent speakers with a strong sense of leadership.

Did that many rotten eggs actually spoil the basket we're in?

I say we deserve a chance. At least take a look at our credentials before dismissing us. You might be missing out on a lot.


**I just got offered a job after meeting somebody for the first time at the PSMB conference in Genting. See what I mean?

No comments: