Monday, December 15, 2008

Just because...

...of political mileage, we see the debate arising again on whether or not to have the teaching of Science and Maths in English. Sigh... Why does this keep happening? Of course teaching it in English is a good idea. How else can we be on par with the rest of the world?

Ok, it's not just about being on par. It's about gaining knowledge, learning, growing. If all available information is mostly in English, shouldn't that be the language we should all master? I mean, I struggled learning Science in Malay back in school. Because of that, I couldn't understand and relate so many things just because everything was translated into Malay terms that just don't make much sense. Just as I started to accept the possibility that I could be intellectually-lacking, I entered Form Six and started learning Science in English. Everything made sense. My Chemistry grade jumped to an A from a pathetic grade last time.

We don't need English just for Maths and Science. We need it to communicate. It pains me to meet people who can't use English for they never really bothered to learn it. How are they gonna enter the workforce? Case in point: A colleague I recently worked with who also had no backbone. Why lar like that? Sigh.

No comments: